top of page

Saturday 20th October 2018


We all know what a fantastic job mountain rescue teams do all over the country. They provide an emergency service 365 days a year, 24 hours a day, and it is all done on a voluntary basis. It is of course an expensive game to run a team as there is lots of kit to purchase and maintain, and of course team members to train. Many teams rely on donations from the public in order to operate each year, and every penny will make a difference. 

As a Lake District based activity provider we are yet to call on the services of any of the local teams, however we feel we can certainly do our bit to support them. For 2018 we are hosting this event again for the fourth year running, during which we will make a night traverse of Striding Edge onto Helvellyn,from which all profits will go directly to the Lake District Search and Mountain Rescue Association (LDSAMRA).


Grade: Hard

Terrain: Rocky and Exposed
Duration: 6-7 Hours 
Route Stats: Miles: 7 Ascent: 930m
Start Location: Ullswater TIC, Glenridding (CA11 0PA) 
Parking: Plenty - P&D (£7 per day - 2015)
Nearest Towns: Penrith, Keswick, Ambleside


The Route: We will ascend to Striding Edge on good paths alongside Mires Beck and over the slopes of Birkhouse Moor. After enjoying our headtorch traverse of Striding Edge we will summit Helvellyn, on which we will have some warm drinks. Our descent will be via Swirral Edge and Greenside Mine. 

Cost: The cost to participate in this event is £50. Of this all profits will go to the Lake District Search and Mountain Rescue Association. 

A percentage of this fee is being retained by us is so we can employ guides for the event. Many of our guides and instructors are already members of Mountain Rescue teams, and in turn donate hundreds of hours a year to their various teams. Here at Lakeland Mountain Guides we feel it is only right to pay these same people when they are working as a professional mountain leader, even if it is on a Mountain Rescue fundraiser.


Striding Edge by Torchlight 2018

  • If the evenings weather is due to be horrendous we may be forced to postpone the event. We will do our best to make this decision as early as possible and let you know! 

bottom of page